Thursday, December 16, 2010

Solo He Stays

Over the last year and half replacing meals with my old college staple of Kimchi bowls to save money was not something I looked forward to. But then, I would picture the white sandy beaches of some distant southeast Asian country and picture myself sipping on a young coconut with Justin, thinking to myself this was all worth it. This was all very worth it.
So it was much to my dismay when a week before our departure date, Justin and I had “the talk”. With his ankle still resembling a mild form of elephantiasis, we decided to cancel our trip to South Korea, and seek much needed medical attention for his injury. It was also decided that I would head to Bali, Indonesia one week before him to meet Nazak.
When the departure date arrived, I miserably dressed myself in my silly little traveller’s outfit of Keens and socks and headed to the airport, for my day long flight. I departed Atlanta’s airport at 7 am to Chicago, where I caught a 15 hour flight to Bali via Tokyo on JAL. The airline was a delicious treat with constant snacks, tea breaks, and delightful Japanese meals. Still I was in a foul mood; this was not what I had pictured for the last year. The man seated beside me was supposed to be one Justin Genovese and not a French Canadien separatist ex-pat, who spent the majority of the next hours painting a bitter and sad picture of Asia for me.

IMG_3318

IMG_3311

IMG_3320

IMG_3313

No comments:

Post a Comment